Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Mother’s Day Remembrance


Every day at around 4:30 in the afternoon, my hand reaches for the phone to call my mother. Traditionally, it was my way of heading off a call from her that would inevitably interrupt either my work or our family dinner. Though there was often nothing new to report, it was a way of checking in and letting her know she was on my mind. She’s still on my mind although she has been gone for six years.
She’s over my shoulder when we do take-out Chinese or Thai food. She’s letting me know she doesn’t approve of putting the plastic take-out containers on the table. My sister, Nancy, and I still do it, but mother's preferred etiquette floats in the atmosphere around the meal.

She’s there when I can’t remember how to get red wine out of the tablecloth and when I have questions about the Chinese poppies that she had in abundance but refuse to thrive in my back flower bed . Fortunately, the peonies I transplanted from her house when she moved have flourished. She’s a presence when I pull out the ingredient-stained recipe cards for noodle pudding or brisket. She’s there when I walk by a store window and see her reflection in the glass, and when I hear certain expressions coming out of my mouth though I don’t think I ever uttered them when she was alive.

My husband, Jim, especially feels her absence on Saturday mornings when she would wait till she knew I had departed on my weekend errands and then call him, whom she loved as a cherished son, and they'd speak in conspiratorial tones about one family matter or another.

Her absence is felt most keenly, however, when sons Ted and Daniel display the splendid personal and professional traits of which she was so proud, and when her great grandchildren hit new milestones that would have made her so happy.

My mother was a chemistry major at Wellesley College, hired by the Dupont Corporation upon her graduation. (She used to joke that being a chem major was easier in the l930's because there were fewer elements!) Dupont, however, found out that she was engaged to be married, which would lead to children, God forbid, and there was no place for working mothers in their 1934 business plan. They fired her, and that was that. She spent most of her adult life volunteering and selflessly giving of herself to others, especially her family.

Her enduring legacy to me is in her love of flowers, her voracious appetite for reading (until she lost her sight), her spirit of determination, her humor, her ability to roll with the vicissitudes of life, her organizational skills (that also show up in her great grand-daughter), her salty vocabulary and her ability to forgive, if not forget.

On Mother’s Day, my husband – and maybe one of the kids - will give me flowers, and I’ll smile because it reinforces my link to my mother, Mim Myers, and the many ways I am connected to her every single day of my life.

I’d greatly appreciate your thoughts in the comments section below.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Marjorie,
    I loved this beautifully written piece. It is so personal! Still it resonates with me… and I guess with others who lost their beloved mothers.
    Thank you!
    Anna
    So happy to came across your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t think I ever uttered them when she was alive.


    UPLAY365

    ReplyDelete
  3. UFA or Ultra-Free Fire Antennas are an incredible choice on the off chance that you are searching for a fire boundary, however don't need the enormous bills that typically accompany these. UFA is an abbreviation for Unfertile Flame aluminum foil, which is a great intelligent aluminum foil that is amazingly successful at keeping hot freshen up of a structure or even a home. It is additionally very fire safe and consequently a decent decision for insurance from flammables also. The solitary issue with UFA is that it is very costly, anyway there are where you can get this item at a small portion of the cost without forfeiting any of the quality.

    The prominence of UFA is generally because of its viability. Pretty much every significant structure material uses some type of intelligent foil in some structure. This is on the grounds that they are extremely compelling at hindering the exchange of warmth and along these lines securing the surface that is being ensured. The intelligent foil is generally additionally covered with a type of paint or silver paint to give it a completed look. This is commonly a decent silver tone that gives the foil an exquisite and upscale look that is appealing.

    The intelligent foil is additionally what gives the energy investment funds that are appreciated by most structures today. This is because of the way that the intelligent foil will ingest the entirety of the warmth before it gets an opportunity to ascend into the environment. Along these lines, regardless of whether the temperature is warm inside the structure, the cooling impact that is capable is altogether decreased. ufa

    ReplyDelete